European Union Training Mission in Mali
|European Union Training Mission Mali|
|Commanded by||Brig. Gen. Jochen Deuer|
|Date||17 January 2013–present|
|Executed by|| Austria|
22 EU members (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden) and 3 non-EU countries (not members of the EU: Georgia, Moldova, Montenegro) are engaged in this mission and have sent soldiers to the Republic of Mali.
Since 2013, Council has adopted several decisions. According to these documents, EUTM Mali has evolved towards its current nature. The most relevant ones has been:
- Council Decision 2013/34/CFSP: EUTM Mali creation
- Council Decision 2013/87/CFSP: EUTM Mali mission launching
- Council Decision 2014/220/CFSP: 2nd mandate. EUTM Mali is extended until 18 May 2016.
- Council Decision 2016/446/CFSP: 3rd mandate. EUTM Mali extension until 18 May 2018.
- Council Decision (CFSP) 2018/716: EUTM Mali 4th mandate. EUTM Mali extension until 18 May 2020.
EUTM Mali has links with EUCAP Sahel Mali, the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali and Operation Barkhane in the north of Mali, with which EUTM shares the same goal, to help Mali to free the north of its territory. Notwithstanding, EUTM Mali's mission is a mission of training and advice. After France, Germany, Belgium (in 2016), Czech Republic became in 2020 the leading nation of this mission.
EU Mission Force Commander of EUTM Mali
|France||Brigadier General||François Lecointre||Jan. 2013||Aug. 2013|
|France||Brigadier General||Bruno Guibert||Aug. 2013||Mar. 2014|
|France||Brigadier General||Marc André Rudkiewicz||Mar. 2014||Oct. 2014|
|Spain||Brigadier General||Alfonso García-Vaquero Pradal||Oct. 2014||July 2015|
|Germany||Brigadier General||Franz Xaver Pfrengle||July 2015||Dec. 2015|
|Germany||Brigadier General||Werner Albl||Dec. 2015||Jul. 2016|
|Belgium||Brigadier General||Eric Harvent||July 2016||Dec. 2016|
|Belgium||Brigadier General||Peter Devogelaere||Dec. 2016||July 2017|
|Belgium||Brigadier General||Bart Laurent||July 2017||Jan. 2018|
|Spain||Brigadier General||Enrique Millán Martínez||Jan. 2018||Nov. 2018|
|Germany||Brigadier General||Peter Mirow||Nov. 2018||June 2019|
|Austria||Brigadier General||Christian Habersatter||June 2019||Dec. 2019|
|Portugal||Brigadier General||João Pedro Rato Boga de Oliveira Ribeiro||Dec. 2019||June 2020|
|Czech Republic||Brigadier General||František Ridzák||Jun. 2020||Jan. 2021|
|Spain||Brigadier General||Fernando Luis Gracia Herreiz||Jan. 2021||July 2021|
|Germany||Brigadier General||Jochen Deuer||July 2021||Jan. 2022|
|Austria||Brigadier General||Christian Riener||Jan. 2022|
- ^ Council Decision 2013/34/CFSP of 17 January 2013 on a European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali), 18 January 2013, retrieved 25 January 2019.
- ^ Council Decision 2013/87/CFSP of 18 February 2013 on the launch of a European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali), 19 February 2013, retrieved 25 January 2019.
- ^ Council Decision 2014/220/CFSP of 15 April 2014 amending Decision 2013/34/CFSP on a European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali), 16 April 2014, retrieved 25 January 2019.
- ^ Council Decision (CFSP) 2016/446 of 23 March 2016 amending and extending Council Decision 2013/34/CFSP on a European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali), 24 March 2016, retrieved 25 January 2019.
- ^ Council Decision (CFSP) 2018/716 of 14 May 2018 amending and extending Decision 2013/34/CFSP on a European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali), 16 May 2018, retrieved 25 January 2019.
- ^ "Nächster deutscher General führt EUTM Mali" (in German). 3 January 2016. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- ^ "EUTM Mali: Wechsel an der Spitze der Trainingsmission". Aktuelle Einsätze (in German). Bundeswehr – PAO HQ EUTM MLI. 4 July 2016. Archived from the original on 16 August 2016. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- ^ "Changement de commandement à l'EUTM Mali – EUTM Mali". EUTM Mali. 19 December 2016. Archived from the original on 16 January 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- ^ "On 12 July, the Belgian Brigadier General Bart Laurent new head of mission EUTM MALI". 13 July 2017. Archived from the original on 4 December 2017. Retrieved 14 March 2020.
- ^ a b Council of the European Union, 13880/19, 25 November 2019. POLITICAL AND SECURITY COMMITTEE DECISION on the appointment of the EU Mission Force Commander of the European Union military mission to contribute to the training of the Malian Armed Forces (EUTM Mali) and repealing Decision (CFSP) 2019/948 (EUTM Mali/2/2019)
- ^ "Österreich übernimmt die Trainingsmission in Mali".
- EUTM Mali Official website
|[Ground] force (EUFOR)|
|Naval force (EUNAVFOR)|
|Training mission (EUTM)|
|Police mission (EUPOL, EUPM)|
|Capacity building mission (EUCAP)|
|Border assistance mission (EUBAM)|
|Rule of law mission (EULEX)|
|Monitoring mission (EUMM)|
|Military advisory mission (EUMAM)|
|Aviation security mission (EUAVSEC)|
|Mission in support of the|
security sector reform (EUSSR)
|Integrated rule of law mission (EUJUST)|
|Mission to provide advice and assistance|
for security sector reform (EUSEC)
|Advisory mission (EUAM)|
|Police advisory team (EUPAT)|